New research just published by Cochrane Library, a science-based group in the U.K., suggests consuming daily doses of dark chocolate or cocoa powder may lower blood pressure. “All though we don’t yet have evidence for any sustained decrease in blood pressure, the small reduction we saw over the short term might complement other treatment options and contribute to reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease”, according to Karin Reid, of the National Institute of Integrative Medicine in Melbourne, Australia stated.
The information was taken from 20 studies, which included more than 850 individuals. The trials ran from two weeks up to eight weeks in duration. Each of these participants ate different amounts of dark chocolate containing Flavanols, which is an antioxidant compound. The antioxidant helps to open the blood vessels, and in turn reduces participant’s blood pressure.
• Lower stroke risk for Men- The Flavonols lowers blood pressure.
• Improves brain function- Research has shown a link for the elderly between mild impairment and cognitive function by including dark chocolate in their diets.
• Helps improve mood & ease PMS- By eating dark chocolate (70%) which contains serotonin and increases endorphin in the body.
• Increase Metabolism- Dark chocolate balances blood sugar, which helps those with diabetes and obesity.
• Lowers risk of Colon Cancer- Dark chocolate contains Polyphenols, which lowers the risk of Colorectal Cancer.
By consuming dark chocolate daily you can benefit from the protection it gives against free radicals, which cause premature aging. Dark chocolate contains Serotonin and releases Endorphin production within the body. By having both Serotonin and Endorphin production increased in the body it boosts the mood. The best dark chocolate for these results is 70% cocoa content and above. The higher the cocoa content the more benefits it will give the body.
About the Author:
Patricia ZelmEmmart CHC, AADP. Patricia is a Certified Holistic Health Counselor, Certified Fitness Coach, Yoga Instructor, and founder of Pacific Holistic Living.